Friday, March 11, 2011

List #439: 90 Great Things My Grandpa Has Done

List #439: 90 Great Things My Grandpa, who turns 90 tomorrow, Has Done or Still Does

1. Fathered My Mom
2-5. Fathered My Aunts and Uncle
6. Grandfathered Me
7-16. Grandfathered my Cousins
17. Took me fishing a lot
18. Taught me Geography
19. Told me stories
20. Told me un-true facts
21. Caused me to have to look things up when I didn't believe him
22. Which made me smart
23. Taught me to Golf
24. Still Goes to the Gym 3 days a week
25. Takes me with him to the fitness center in the summer
26. Pays for me when I don't have a pass
27. Buys me Soup
28. Buys me Chocolate Milk
29. Lets me stay at his house in the summer
30. Helped build our Church
31. Masterminds the PLPC Salmon-fest
32. Writes letters to companies
33. Sends Birthday Checks
34. Gives fruit for Christmas
35. Drinks Manhattans
36. Was in the Navy in WWII
37. Was a Pilot
38. Flew a plane for Madame Chiang Kai Shek
39. Tells Great Stories
40. Grows Sweet Peas
41. Grows Marigolds
42. Is a TV Commercial Star
43. Gets Recognized in the grocery store for it
44. Puts address labels on his canes so they get returned to him
45. Feeds Hummingbirds
46. Briefly Attended St. Olaf
47. Met My Grandma (at Carleton) in Northfield
48. Remembered her name "Gladstone" using the mnemonic 'HappyRock'
49. Made my Grandma finish college before he'd marry her
50. Is a member of the Rotary Club
51. Tries to grow tomatoes
52. Reads National Geographic
53. Always tries to watch Twins games
54. Is proud of his Grandkids
55. Wanted to be an Attorney
56. Put that dream aside to raise a family
57. Wants his grandkids to be attorneys
58. Grills his grandkids about what they are going to do with their lives
59. Is proud of us all anyways
60. Bets on me to know the answers to National Geographic quiz questions
61. Keeps a good Calendar
62. Writes in all-capitals using a china marker
63. Is My Hero
64. Remembers Birthdays (well ahead of time)
65. Played Hockey for the University of Minnesota
66. Is a member of the Lake Avenue Loafers
67. Can talk to anyone
68. Worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield
69. Lets me keep my sailboat at his house
70. Pays a good wage for Grandchild labor
71. Is in a book about Airmen of Northern Minnesota
72. Always has peanuts and good cookies in the pantry
73. Has great recipes for Meatballs and Meatloaf
74. Is good at delegating
75. Sings in the Choir at Church
76. Went to Denfeld High School
77. Still Goes to his Class Reunions
78. Helped teach me how to drive
79. Tells good jokes
80. Cares about his neighbors and his work-out buddies
81. Has an awesome house on a lake
82. Lets me drive his pontoon boat
83. Has 2 fake knees
84. Worked with Bob Dylan's Dad
85. Is the Son of a Swedish Immigrant
86. Still lives in his own house
87. Has a secret German-Irish alter-ego (Werner Muldoon)
88. Also played baseball
89. Taught me to play chess
90. Is beloved by all


No comments:

Post a Comment