Monday, January 16, 2012

List #750: Online Services I Currently Have Beef With

List #750: Online Services I Currently Have Beef With (or at very least a distinct love/hate relationship)

1. Google: hiding advanced search; "Social" Search is opt-out rather than opt-in; weird dropdown tool bar on some of my browsers; over focus on trying to 'beat' facebook when Google is a search engine; forcing a location for search; for creeping towards evil
2. Hulu+: for not streaming to Roku any of the stuff I'd actually pay money to have on my TV (since I have multiple ways to watch it on a computer screen, all of which are free and most of which are legal)
3. Facebook: for making Google worse (see #1); for the inevitable switch to that white-hot mess of unreadable Timeline; for eliminating blog importing; for general exploitation
4. Amazon* (only because the Kindle Fire isn't quite what I hoped it could be... Amazon Prime rules, and renting/on-demand movies on the Roku are great)
5. Barnes and Noble Nook: for not being awesome for libraries... again, that's really Big Publishing's fault, not theirs
6. iTunes: for generally being more expensive than amazon's mp3 store. (I have gift cards, but i still feel it's wasteful to spend $1-2 more on an album, or .30 more on an individual track)
7. Bing: For not having an Advanced Search link in an immediate and obvious place on their home page; for requiring a set location for search results; for trying to do too much thinking for the user.
8. Any online service provider that supports SOPA.

No comments:

Post a Comment