Wednesday, November 4, 2009

List #278: 5 Favorite poems

List #278: 5 Favorite poems, aka "the only thing I learned in AP English 12" (bonus: favorite lines)

1. "Very Like a Whale", Ogden Nash
---"Oh it is, is it, all right then, you sleep under a six-inch blanket of snow and I'll sleep under a half-inch blanket of unpoetical blanket material and we'll see which one keeps warm,"
2. "Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister", Robert Browning
--"Plena gratia / Ave, Virgo! Gr-r-r--you swine!"
3. "Ozymandias", Percy Bysshe Shelley
-- My name is Ozymandias, king of kings / look on my works ye mighty and despair
4. Sonnet 121 "Tis better to be vile than vile esteemed", Bill
--"...all men are bad / and in their badness reign"
5. Sonnet 144, "Two loves have I of comfort and despair", Bill
---"wooing his purity with her foul pride"

No comments:

Post a Comment